Sunday, December 27, 2015

riverwalkers, a contemporary caveman + caribou balls

Riverwalker on the Yukon.

This post is dedicated to Caveman Bill, who is one of my favourite people in Dawson. He's kind, generous and intelligent, as well as being a keeper of a lot of interesting history of Dawson, from over the past couple of decades that he's been here.

Christmas Eve day, my partner and I forged a new path across the Yukon River, directly across from frozen bank to bank in the direction of Bill's cave. I had a steaming hot loaf of Macaulay House Bread, straight out of the oven and wrapped in a tea towel, to give to him.



Big, beautiful blue ice chunks litter the river. We follow animal tracks across. After a couple of -29˚ days, we are sure the river is frozen solid. 


The entrance to Bill's cave - he climbs up the front of it to find me Spook's skull, which he still has.





Inside Caveman Bill's cave, looking towards the front entrance (that he built).

Inside, we enjoy a cup of green tea that just sits on the wood stove and never gets cold, even though it takes an hour to drink it all.

There's Bill sitting on his bed at the rear of the cave, the deepest part. (Click any image to enlarge it)
Caveman Bill is a prolific woodworker, and the inside of his cave is full of beautifully crafted dovetail jointed boxes, cabinets, cupboards and desks that he's built and embellished with sweet designs carved into the front or top. The day we visited, he was just finishing a lap desk that he was about to give away to the person whose name he'd drawn in the Secret Santa draw. I was astounded that he'd give such an exquisite handmade gift - it was a writing-style desk top, with a hinged lid and underneath compartment, plus a side drawer that pulled out. His reply to my astonishment over the gift was that he donates all kinds of these hand-carved trunks, chests, boxes, etc to local fundraisers. I'm not sure he realizes the value of his work, or if he does, it doesn't compare to the value of the joy he gets from doing it.

He shows us some of his unfinished works in progress, kept outside under a sheet of plywood.





















Speaking of woodworking, my partner and I built two boxes today of scrap wood we found in one of the Macaulay House sheds, for to house my 'bones' when they are abandoned outside. I aged them after they were built, with a wash of black acrylic, to look like so much of the old wooden structures in Dawson City. When they were finished, I loved them so much that I wanted to take them home to Montreal instead of abandoning them, but they were easy to make AND taking anything out of Dawson by plane is extremely pricey, as you pay per kilo. An abandonment project is a very good idea for KIAC residency. The boxes will have clear plexi fronts, so that the bones inside (and the web address leading to the audio clips of osteobiographical tales) can be seen without having to be tampered with.

Working in my studio.
Crystals are growing now on my hog gut matrices to produce the bones for my project.
I have feasted at different feasts continuously over the past three days, and I have to say that my favourite foods of all were Dan's amazingly delicious caribou meat balls, and Lulu's amazingly delicious moose meat stew. It was my first time eating caribou, that magical beast with the whirligig legs. I fared extremely well with local food, particularly considering that I could have been stuck with this Yukon standard for xmas dinner:


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pics! Love finally meeting your caveman friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Project Overview

The project will respond to the local landscape, cultural history and mythology.
Utilizing locally sourced biomaterials such as animal intestine, I will construct artificial bones that mimic the natural biological process of osteogenesis. These faux artifacts will be built using textile structures as scaffolds for mineral growth. Following this process of ‘mock-ossification’, I will build text-based osteobiographies (narratives) for each object, referencing and mutating the existing stories, mythologies and histories of the Yukon.

This project reflects an interest in psychogeography (affective space) and how existing spaces can be altered through the intervention of uncanny objects abandoned in public. Those objects will be marked with identifying information that leads to a website containing semi-fictitious but almost entirely-believable ‘mutated narratives’ (a term coined by bioartist, Katherine Fargher) that offer alternate explanations for the way things are.

My research in tissue engineering informs the work in its biomimetic process: bones are over 70% hydroxylapatite crystal, formed on a partly-collagen matrix. By sculpting soft tissue and using various crystalline chemical solutions to grow hard mineral matter on the surface and insides of the structures, beautiful and unknown forms emerge. The chemicals I use and the biomaterials are naturally biodegradable and will be allowed to disintegrate into the environment, leaving nothing but their osteobiographical trace.