Thursday, December 3, 2015

the twilight zone

I am utterly smitten with Yukon morning twilight. The sky shifts from black to dark purple, to various shades of neon pink to yellow to daylight over the course of an hour, from around 10-11am. It isn't fully light out till 11:30ish. I relish this waking in the dark, the quiet space at the beginning of the day when I can drink coffee alone in my studio and wait to watch the slowly changing colours outside.

My studio - and the beginning of morning twilight in the windows.

The first peek of daylight, as seen from my east-facing studio window.
Below are a few items found in the studio, as I was thoroughly cleaning and clearing it out (I can't focus/work in cluttered space). I also found strips of hot red acetate and bottle green glass, which I have catching light in both of my studio windows (red acetate shown in the window above).

I adore this collection of items: a piece of mirror acetate, weird wire forms, watercolour sketches, and my most fave, the watercolour shaman. I don't know who created the sketches, but I will do something with them.
For now, I've started refreshing my beading skills with seed beads that I bought at the Dänojà Zho Cultural Centre yesterday. I plan to incorporate some crusted beady areas into my sculptures:


Last night I had the pleasure of participating in film selections for the Dawson City International Short Film Festival that happens in the Spring. The selections happen at KIAC in their classroom, which is set up with a huge TV and wine and snacks, and interested community members (most in this community are artists) are invited to screen some of the films and vote/score. Usually ten films are shown per night. The score cards are collected and used by the jury to help make the shortlist for the final selections. These screenings happen twice a week, so I'll be attending more! SUPER FUN perk of being here as artist-in-residence.   

To end and bring the topic back to the twilight zone, in the next post I'll talk about the house ghost here at Macaulay House where resident artists stay. I dare say I've had some communication already.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like so much fun. Hope you have a wonderful experience. :)

    ReplyDelete

Project Overview

The project will respond to the local landscape, cultural history and mythology.
Utilizing locally sourced biomaterials such as animal intestine, I will construct artificial bones that mimic the natural biological process of osteogenesis. These faux artifacts will be built using textile structures as scaffolds for mineral growth. Following this process of ‘mock-ossification’, I will build text-based osteobiographies (narratives) for each object, referencing and mutating the existing stories, mythologies and histories of the Yukon.

This project reflects an interest in psychogeography (affective space) and how existing spaces can be altered through the intervention of uncanny objects abandoned in public. Those objects will be marked with identifying information that leads to a website containing semi-fictitious but almost entirely-believable ‘mutated narratives’ (a term coined by bioartist, Katherine Fargher) that offer alternate explanations for the way things are.

My research in tissue engineering informs the work in its biomimetic process: bones are over 70% hydroxylapatite crystal, formed on a partly-collagen matrix. By sculpting soft tissue and using various crystalline chemical solutions to grow hard mineral matter on the surface and insides of the structures, beautiful and unknown forms emerge. The chemicals I use and the biomaterials are naturally biodegradable and will be allowed to disintegrate into the environment, leaving nothing but their osteobiographical trace.